Protection mainstreaming is the process of incorporating protection principles and promoting meaningful access, safety and dignity in humanitarian aid. “Protection mainstreaming” relates to the approach we take in all our programmes. It does not mean changing WHAT we do but means we should think about HOW assistance is provided. This is essentially about safe, good quality programming. It is the responsibility of all humanitarian actors and should be applied to all projects.
This segment outlines the programme tools that HRD is currently favouring when mainstreaming protection in our activities and programmes. CRS ascribes to the Global Protection Cluster (GPC) definition of protection mainstreaming as…
“the process of incorporating protection principles and promoting meaningful access, safety and dignity in humanitarian aid”.
“le processus consistant à incorporer les principes de protection et à promouvoir l’accès significatif, la sécurité et la dignité.”
Our Protection Mainstreaming Approach:
- Briefing Note – Agency Approach to Protection Mainstreaming [English] [Français] [Español] [اللغة العربية]
- Link Between Core Components through Safety, Dignity and Access [English] [Français] [Español] [اللغة العربية]
General intro to Protection Mainstreaming – Global Protection Cluster (GPC) video available at: http://www.globalprotectioncluster.org/en/areas-of-responsibility/protection-mainstreaming.html
1.0 Assessment Tools
- Guide to Protection Risk Analysis / [English]
- Protection Risk Analysis Summary Action Plan / [English]
- Global Protection Cluster (GPC) Sample Needs Assessment Questions per Sector / [English] [Français]
- IRC Needs Assessment Checklist / [English] [Français]
1.1 Sample Assessments Coming soon
1.2 Writing Proposals
Proposal samples can be found on Gateway and a member of the HRD Protection Team can facilitate identifying strong examples for your specific context.