- Legally sourced
- Sustainably sourced – most common certifications are FSC and PEFC.
- Consider other materials if source country suffers from high levels of deforestation
|5cm x 5cm||Non-structural elements|
|5cm x 10cm||Non-column structural elements|
|10cm x 10cm||Columns|
- Harvest bamboo in dry season.
- Cut bamboo just above the first node.
- Always use sharp tool or saw to avoid damage to bamboo.
- Keep bamboo upright for two to three weeks. This helps to reduce the starch content of culms and as this lessens the a chances of insect attack.
- Water treatment works better when bamboo is newly cut, dry bamboo does not absorb water as well.
- Bamboo needs to been treated in clean or running water.
- Bamboo needs to be treated for a minimum of 40 days.
- Ensure that there are no cracks in the bamboo.
- Avoid culms with any sign of deterioration or infection.
- For the main structure of the house, select 3-5 year old bamboo.
- Select fresh and light greyish green colored bamboo that is almost fully grown.
|6-10cm diameter||Non-structural elements|
|10cm||Columns and other structural elements|